Pages...

May 5, 2013

Mommies "Milk" Smoothie

I'm not sure how it works and I really don't care but I drank this yesterday and my breast milk production was super heavy. Awesome!!! (Be aware that adding this much "raw" fiber can seriously effect your tummy...but you adjust quickly if you keep the consumption up.)

Ok I won't lie I do know some of the reasons behind the increase. DHA, Omega 3, protein, probiotics, fiber, etc. You won't get me near brewers yeast which lots of people recommend for breastmilk production help...it stinks and tastes even worse in a raw form like a smoothie. So no thanks. Also be aware that even with the most powerful blender you will have a slightly oatmeal type texture in the finished product.
  • 1c. ice (You can omit the ice if using frozen fruit, but I like my shakes cold)
  • 1/2c. oatmeal
  • 1/4c. flax seed (I use whole, roasted from Trader Joes)
  • 1T. local honey (only needed if using plain yogurt)
  • 1 banana fresh
  • 1c. other fruit (today I used peaches)
  • 1/3-1/2c. goats milk yogurt (or greek)
  • Enough juice or water or milk to blend
  • 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use MonaVie which is soy free)
Blend slow to fast, adding enough liquid to reach the consistency you like. 

**So it pretty much doesn't matter what you use for your smoothie/shake. Just add 1/2c oatmeal & 1/4c flax seed & try to use some goats or greek yogurt for protein & probiotics. I personally am lessening my dairy intake so I used goats yogurt which digests much easier than cows milk based products.



2 comments:

Diane said...

Where are you finding your goats yogurt?

Sarah said...

Trader Joes or Whole Foods or most natural foods stores in Cali. Here I can also find it at Harmons in addition to all those places.