Honestly, some people try to imitate this and it ends up not so good. This is SO yummy. My oldest daughter seriously won't go without it at holidays & she'll eat it for breakfast if I let her. Please get over your mothers chunks of sweet potatoes or yams and molten marshmallows. This is what you really should be serving. Plus you can eat it as a side dish OR a dessert. (Seriously a spoonful of this and a spoonful of vanilla ice cream...don't say I didn't warn you.)
1 batch serves 2-4 people depending on your sweet tooth.
Preheat oven to 350.
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. melted butter
1 c. chopped nuts (RC uses pecans. Almonds are good too.)
- Mix together all of the above & set aside.
3 c. mashed sweet potatoes
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla (I only use Mexican vanilla...but thats a personal thing.)
- Beat eggs well.
- Mix eggs, sugar & butter well.
- Add salt & vanilla, mixing well.
- Add sweet potatoes & beat well.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into a well buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with crumb topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to set for approximately 30 minutes before serving.