Yes. I use frozen, bagged O'Brien style potatoes. This results in several things. 1- No tears...I don't have to cut or grate onions because they are already in the potatoes! (It also includes the added touch of diced peppers.) 2- I don't have to cook or cut potatoes, because they are already cut for me. 3- I don't use shredded hash browns and this means I have a slightly different mouth feel...less mushy and more obvious potato pieces.
Give my recipe a try. You won't be disappointed. It also includes cream cheese, a bit of garlic & a crust of melty, gooey cheese instead of the traditional crunchy crust. These are amazing served with your Easter ham...or dice up some leftover ham & toss it in. Yum!
Rich & Creamy Funeral Potatoes
26oz can cream of chicken soup (family sized can...you can also use cream of mushroom)
24oz sour cream
16oz cream cheese
32oz/2lb shredded cheddar cheese (I buy pre-shredded....its 1 big bag)
3Tbsp garlic powder (not salt)
3 bags (28oz ea) O'Brien Style Potatoes
- Using an electric mixer blend soup, sour cream & cream cheese till creamy.
- Add garlic powder to soup mix. Blend.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese & mix again.
- Spray both of your 9x13 pans with Pam.
- Pour 1 1/2 bags of potatoes into each pan.
- Pour 1/2 of creamy mixture over the potatoes in each pan.
- Mix the potatoes & creamy mixture well & smooth into the pans.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of both pans.
- Bake @ 350 about an hr or until the middle is hot.