1Tbsp garlic powder
- Place black beans in a strainer & rinse well.
- Place rinsed beans into a small pot.
- Fill with water to cover beans by 2".
- Soak overnight on stove-top or counter.
- Drain beans in strainer & rinse well again.
- Place beans back into pot & recover with fresh water.
- Bring beans to a boil & then reduce the heat to low for 1hr.
- Taste a bean...it should not be too mushy, but not firm either. (If still firm cook on low till tender.)
- Add a bit more water if necessary...beans & water should be about the same level.
- Stir well.
- Add salt, cumin & garlic.
- Shut off the heat.
- Cover with a lid & let sit for 1hr so beans absorb the spices & some more liquid.
Serve with rice, in burritos...or by themselves.