I hate soaking beans overnight & typically do a "fast soak" the way I describe below.
This feeds our family of 5 for 2+ meals.
15 Bean Cajun Soup:
1 Kielbasa Sausage (1st cut into rounds, then cut the rounds into 1/4's)
1 medium onion (diced, optional)
2 Chicken Breasts (chopped)
1 bag of 15 bean soup mix (down the bean aisle...typically contains a cajun season packet)
2 cans of cut green beans (drained)
Spices: garlic powder, salt, chili powder, cayenne
- Put the kielbasa, chicken, onions & cajun season packet into the crockpot. Turn on high & cover.
- Pour beans into a small seperate pot, cover with water, bring to a boil on the stove-top.
- Once beans boil, strain them & rinse them.
- Add boiled, rinsed beans to the crock-pot.
- Add hot water till the crock-pot is 3/4 full.
- Let cook at least 1 hour.
- Check to make sure the chicken it cooked.
- Add green beans.
- Add extra spices to taste. (I add about 3Tbsp chili powder, 3Tbsp garlic, & 1-2tsp of cayenne...plus salt to taste.)